Time & Location
24 Mar 2022, 19:00 – 21:00 GMT
About The Event
Part two of a two part workshop to make and fill and beautiful (and informative) book all about birds!
What do I get?
- Access to the live class via zoom
- A recording of the live class with infinite access (great if you can't attend the live class or want to rewatch)
- Downloadable references, instructions and materials list (emailed to you before the class)
- Loads of friendly advice and support!
Materials and Information
These are SO MUCH FUN to make!!!
This workshop is a pick and mix of mini projects that you can use to fill your little handmade book!
I will demonstrate some nice watercolour techniques for painting birds and eggs along with collage, colour experiments and exciting mark making! The pages you create can all be stuck into your book and can be simple or detailed depending on your style/experience level. This is a particularly good class for those of you new to drawing and painting as more complex elements can be traced then painted... (but that will be our little secret!)
There are loads of lovely printable downloads to help generate ideas and to inspire you as well as a useful tracing sheet if you prefer not to draw. All in all, it's a VERY relaxing class fuelled by hot cross buns and the odd Mini Egg (or 10!)
P.S You can use all the projects in nature journals and sketchbooks too!
A two part workshop!
During this two part workshop, we will be binding a tiny book and adding illustrations and text to it on the theme of birds. I have chosen my favourite British garden birds but the options are of course endless and open to your own feathery interests. Perhaps, you could use it as a creative record of which varieties of bird visit your garden this year? Maybe it's a learning tool to focus on one type of bird and research, learn and document it's habits. During the two workshop sessions you will learn easy and fun mixed media techniques to add to your illustrated journal, techniques on illustrating eggs, feathers, nest, layout, layering and what sort of information and added extras to use to create these quirly and unique little artist books.
This little book could be popped into a paper pocket and added to a garden or nature sketchbook as an interactive element or be given to a friend who likes birds.
The mini book itself is full of painted and collaged elements which can be as simple or complex as you choose. You might like to add lettering which could be printed, hand drawn or collaged. You will learn how to create and combine all these elements into a visually effective design.
We will be drawing and painting during this workshop but the shapes and systems are really simple so perfect for beginners and those who want to build up their creative courage. Those with more experience are very welcome to bring more complexity the design.
What do I need?
- Pencils: 2B and HB
- Eraser and pencil sharpener
- An eraser that you don't mind cutting up
- Old book pages, patterned papers from wrap or magazines (from a charity shop/car boot sale) brown kraft paper/old envelops are also really useful, scraps of paper, and old magazine to chop up etc
- A few A4 sheets Cartridge paper or thin card/smooth watercolour paper and/or your sketchbook
- A waterproof fine liner pen
- Watercolour paint
- Mixing palette (or china plate)
- Brushes (round style and pointed size approx 4, 6, 10)
- Water pot
- Kitchen Roll
- Coloured pencils, good quality.
- Tracing paper
- Scapel/ craft knife and cutting mat
- OPTIONAL: An old toothbrush for splattering! watercolour pencils and sandpaper or an emery board
- Scissors, Glue stick
- Damp cloth/wet wipes for your hands
- OPTIONAL: alphabet craft stamps and ink pad, typewriter, old books/leaflets to chop up. If these are about birds/nature that works really well!
- White posca pen (0.7mm nib ultra fine) or white gel pen.
Wittle Birdie Books Part 2£15.00