Time & Location
17 Mar 2022, 19:00 – 21:00 GMT
About The Event
Part one of a two part workshop to make and fill and beautiful (and informative) book all about birds!
What do I get?
- Access to the live class via zoom
- A recording of the live class with infinite access (great if you can't attend the live class or want to rewatch)
- Downloadable references, instructions and materials list (emailed to you before the class)
- Loads of friendly advice and support!
Materials and Information
These are SO MUCH FUN to make!!!
In this workshop we will be playing with paper to create a collection a very interesting
little book forms. Learn three variations of a special book fold which can easily be adapted (with a few extra folds and snips) to create something really beautiful and unique!
This is a great base for lots of arty projects and themes...not just birds!
We will then move on to creating a really effective cover design that can be adapted to fit the size of your book. I'll show you how to add pretty doodled elements and lettering to it. The template can again be adapted to suit any subject matter and I'll provide you with lovely hand-drawn references to copy from/get inspired by/trace which makes the project really relaxing...a very nice one to potter with and not wear your brain out!
A two part project!
During this two part workshop, we will be making a tiny book and adding illustrations and text to it on the theme of birds. I have chosen my favourite British garden birds but the options are of course endless and open to your own feathery interests. Perhaps, you could use it as a creative record of which varieties of bird visit your garden this year? Maybe it's a learning tool to focus on one type of bird and research, learn and document it's habits. During the two workshop sessions you will learn easy and fun mixed media techniques to add to your illustrated journal, techniques on illustrating eggs, feathers, nest, layout, layering and what sort of information and added extras to use to create these quirly and unique little artist books.
This little book could be popped into a paper pocket and added to a garden or nature sketchbook as an interactive element or be given to a friend who likes birds.
The mini book itself is full of painted and collaged elements which can be as simple or complex as you choose. You might like to add lettering which could be printed, hand drawn or collaged. You will learn how to create and combine all these elements into a visually effective design.
We will be drawing and painting during this workshop but the shapes and systems are really simple so perfect for beginners and those who want to build up their creative courage. Those with more experience are very welcome to bring more complexity the design.
What do I need?
- Pencils: 2B and HB
- Fineliner pen in black or brown
- Eraser and pencil sharpener
- Old book pages, patterned papers from wrap or magazines (from a charity shop/car boot sale) brown kraft paper/old envelops are also really useful, scraps of paper.
- Some paper to do a practice book. Cheap copier paper is great for this! A4 is fine for practicing but A3 is the finished size we will be working with. I'll talk about different options for paper in the class so don't buy anything especially until afterthe class
- A blunt butter knife or bone folder
- A4 Cartridge paper or thin card/smooth watercolour paper
- Watercolour paint
- Mixing palette (or china plate)
- Brushes (round style and pointed size approx 4 or 6,
- Water pot
- Kitchen Roll
- Coloured pencils, good quality.
- Tracing paper
- Scapel/ craft knife and cutting mat
- Post it notes or removeable tape
- Glue stick
- Damp cloth/wet wipes for your hands
- OPTIONAL: alphabet craft stamps and ink pad.
- White posca pen (0.7mm nib ultra fine) or white gel pen, scraps of paper,
Wittle Birdie Books£15.00