Wittle Birdie Books: Part 1
Time & Location
About The Event
Part one of a two part workshop to make and fill and beautiful (and informative) book all about birds!
What do I get?
- Access to the live class via zoom
- A recording of the live class with infinite access (great if you can't attend the live class or want to rewatch)
- Downloadable references, instructions and materials list (emailed to you before the class)
- Loads of friendly advice and support!
Materials and Information
These are SO MUCH FUN to make!!!
During this two part workshop, we will be binding a tiny book and adding illustrations and text to it on the theme of birds. I have chosen my favourite British garden birds but the options are of course endless and open to your own feathery interests. Perhaps, you could use it as a creative record of which varieties of bird visit your garden this year? Maybe it's a learning tool to focus on one type of bird and research, learn and document it's habits. During the two workshop sessions you will learn easy and fun mixed media techniques to add to your illustrated journal, techniques on illustrating eggs, feathers, nest, layout, layering and what sort of information and added extras to use to create these quirly and unique little artist books.
This little book could be popped into a paper pocket and added to a garden or nature sketchbook as an interactive element or be given to a friend who likes birds.
The mini book itself is full of painted and collaged elements which can be as simple or complex as you choose. You might like to add lettering which could be printed, hand drawn or collaged. You will learn how to create and combine all these elements into a visually effective design.
We will be drawing and painting during this workshop but the shapes and systems are really simple so perfect for beginners and those who want to build up their creative courage. Those with more experience are very welcome to bring more complexity the design.
What do I need?
- Pencils: 2B and HB
- Eraser and pencil sharpener
- An eraser that you don't mind cutting up
- Old book pages, patterned papers from wrap or magazines (from a charity shop/car boot sale) brown kraft paper/old envelops are also really useful, scraps of paper.
- 2 x A3 sheets Cartridge paper or thin card/smooth watercolour paper (please note that the A3 size is important if you want to make a folded book but I will also show you how to make a stitched version in which case A4 size will be fine)
- A large darning style needle
- Some thick thread/twine/wool that will go through the eye of the needle (alternatively bookbinding thread and beeswax if you already have it)
- A blunt butter knife or bone folder
- A waterproof fine liner pen
- Watercolour paint
- Mixing palette (or china plate)
- 2 Brushes (round style and pointed size approx 4 or 6, 8 or 10)
- Water pot
- Kitchen Roll
- Coloured pencils, good quality.
- Tracing paper
- Scapel/ craft knife and cutting mat
- OPTIONAL: An old toothbrush for splattering!
- Post it notes or removeable tape
- Scissors, Glue stick
- Damp cloth/wet wipes for your hands
- OPTIONAL: alphabet craft stamps and ink pad.
- White posca pen (0.7mm nib ultra fine) or white gel pen, scraps of paper,
- Wittle Birdie Books£15£150£0