Thu, 29 Jul|
Pop Up Secret Gardens for Cards and Sketchbooks
Create an illustrated version of your own home and garden, a mini historical house and estate... or imagine the perfect one of your dreams!
Time & Location
29 Jul 2021, 19:00 – 21:00 BST
About The Event
What do I get?
- Access to the live class via zoom
- A recording of the live class with infinite access (great if you can't attend the live class or want to rewatch)
- Downloadable references, instructions and materials list (emailed to you before the class)
- Loads of friendly advice and support!
Materials and Information
There are quite a few creative options for you to choose from during this workshop! Option 1. is to make a beautiful collaged house with a painted paper garden that pops DOWN as you open the card/book format. Option 2. is to create a secret garden that pops UP when you open the card! Option 3. create a vintage tin garden!! The illustration techniques are the same for all!
Once you've learnt the pop up/down methods you can easily add elements to create further depth to your garden. You will learn how to reduce complex elements and images into more simplified forms and designs, picking only the essential information to illustrate which is REALLY liberating!
A beautiful layered paper garden will appears to grow before your very eyes! The project is built up slowly so you can easily test the layout of your piece and add or take away parts before all the elements are stuck down.
Your design could be very small and simple OR lavish and complex by simply adding more or less illustrative elements which makes this such a fun and addictive workshop (and nice to potter with as you would in a real garden!).
I will be showing you how to construct a card/book format inwhich to stick your house and garden BUT I will also show you examples of how you can stick the elements into old tins and small boxes. If this is something you're interested in, have a rummage around in your craft supplies for some suitable vestles in which to 'grow' your collaged garden!
This is a fun and friendly class suitable for all abilities
What do I need?
- Pencil HB
- Eraser and pencil sharpener
- 2 x A4 sheet of heavyweight cartridge paper or thin card
- Double sided tape
- A blunt butter knife or bone folder
- A ruler
- A waterproof fine liner pen
- Gouache paint or watercolour paint
- Mixing palette (or china plate)
- Brushes size 2, 4 and 6
- Water pot
- Kitchen Roll
- Coloured pencils, good quality.
- Glue stick
- Optional finishing touches: Think about how you would like to present your artwork. You could stick it into a folded card or a sketchbook. I added my finished artwork into the covers of an old book but you could also use a small box or vintage tin.
- A photo reference of your own house (I will also provide some home and garden ref images ig you are stuck!)
- Damp cloth/wet wipes for your hands
- White posca pen (0.7mm nib ultra fine) or white gel pen or just use white gouache
- Scraps of paper