Time & Location
14 Oct 2021, 19:00 – 21:00 BST
About The Event
Materials and Information
Learn to make your own hand bound sketchbook which grows as you fill it...amazing! This fantastic book form is so much fun as it is very adaptable and easy to make and can be used as a sketchbook, journal or artist book. It's the perfect way to record the changing of the seasons, to celebrate warmth and wellbeing and mindfully collect and record.
It can be made in two easy ways, a finished book or built in lots of little sections which can slowly grow! Add pockets, fold out pages, and mini books inside it. Once you've made one you won't be able to stop and it's so easy to change the size, shape, content and covers that the possiblilites are endless and lots of fun!
What will you fill your book with? Secrets, spells, magical remedies, recipes, curious natural treasures? If you're stuck and need inspiration join the following workshop on the 21st October for some inspirational and magical creative solutions!
This is a fun, friendly and inclusive workshop for all experience levels
Materials needed for this workshop
- 2 x pieces A5 card ...any colour (Could be from an old cereal box!)
- 5-6 pieces of A4 copier paper
- 1 x A3 Piece of thin card or heavy weight cartridge paper ...Cut it into a strip measuring 12 x 42cm (42cm is the length measurement of an actual piece of A3 so all you need to do is measure a 12cm width). Black/brown card looks good!
- A Ruler
- Pencil, sharpener, eraser
- Blunt butter knife/bone folder to crease and score
- Old magazine/scrap paper to use for gluing
- Darning needle and thread... Bookbinding thread is good for this but a strong sewing thread will do the job!
- A darning needle OR awl for piercing holes
- 10 sheets of A4 paper of your choice to fill your book. Thin, cheap cartridge is good for a practice piece as is cheap copier paper but there are some gorgeous papers on the market which you could use for a finished book. I like Khadi rag paper (150gsm), old papers from books and maps, parcel paper, old envelopes, thin watercolour paper etc.
- PVA/School glue and a brush
- Double sided tape
- Masking/sticky tape
- A cutting map is always helpful but not essential
- 1 metre of ribbon/fabric tape (1cm wide) OR some strips of cartridge brown paper cut to 30 x 1cm strips. This is for the final stage of the book and not essential during the workshop. You may want to fill and decorate your journal before adding these little strips so don't worry if you don't have them.
For the cover
- 2 x pieces of grey board or cardboard cut to size 10 x 12.5cm...This is like the type of cardboard on the back of sketchbooks and pads of paper so that's a good place to start! You can also get this from craft and art suppliers
- 2 x pieces of decorative paper (approx A4 in size)
- Old Book Covers cut to 10 x 12.5cm
What do I get when I buy?
- Access to the live class via zoom
- A recording of the live class with infinite access (great if you can't attend the live class or want to rewatch)
- Downloadable references and a materials list (emailed to you before the class)
- Loads of friendly advice and support!
Magical Expanding Journal 1£15.00